Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

The More I Run...

... the more I love myself.

This 2013-2014 school year, my mantra was the word BALANCE.

My first year of teaching (2012-2013) was hard. The kind of hard where I called my mom in April and asked if she would be ashamed of me if I left the education field. The kind of hard where if you found my LinkedIn profile (for your sake and mine... don't), it has my butchered attempt of making an education resume more "business-ified." The kind of hard where I applied to several different secretarial positions, fashion industry positions, and even considered becoming a full-time waitress.

Before those of you reading this who have never felt this way get all self-righteous on me.... it wasn't because of the kids. I was working 12-14 hours every day, seven days a week. I wasn't eating, I was barely sleeping, and I lost contact with a majority of my friends. My only saving grace was the fact that I adored my learners, and I had a roommate and a boyfriend that listened to me and encouraged me as best as they could. They kept me going during my first year.

Thankfully, my mom convinced me to take the summer to breathe and get away from it all, and still see if I felt that way come August. As always (don't get a big head, Mom), she was right, and I promised her I would give it one more year before making a  final decision.

August '13 came around and I knew I had to do something different. I gave myself a schedule. I was allowed to work as much as I wanted Sunday-Thursday... but Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning/afternoon were mine for FUN.

In December, I decided to make real goals for 2014. I'm not one for goal-making, so it took me a long time to come up with goals that I knew I could achieve.

If you notice, I have "Run a 10K." Why did I put that? I have no idea; probably because it sounded healthy, and that's what you do for the new year, right?! Before I started running though, I wanted to make sure I was consistent with my workouts.

I signed up at Rob's Fitness to work with a personal trainer and made it a goal to workout 2 times per week. Minus a few crazy, hectic weeks (you ALL know the kind of weeks I'm talking about), I managed to keep this time frame. Having set appointments with an actual person has helped hold me accountable for working out... I even ENJOY it now! Go figure.

I started running (slow jogging with a LOT of walking) in April; barely two months ago. I ran 1.24 miles, and by the end of it, I swore that I was going to collapse onto the ground and never get up.

On 6/16/14 I ran my first 10K. It wasn't a race and, let me tell you, it HURT... but I did it, and I will probably do it again. and again. and again.

I am so glad that I didn't jump out of this crazy, roller coaster of education... but I am glad that I found other things to help me with my keyword- BALANCE. I can't wait for this next school year to come around. :)

I am going to be running a half at the Chosen Marathon in October with my sweet friend, Katti. You want to read a beautiful and heart-breaking story? Check out her blog HERE. I am blessed to have her as a friend (AND SHE RUNS!).

Cassie







8 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring, Cassie. I'm so glad to know more about your story. I hope to learn so much from you during this next year.

    Nicole
    Going Places in Fourth Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a fabulous teamie already! I can't wait to learn from YOU this year!

      Delete
  2. Nice work Cassie...Running is one of the best things that I do and helps to clear my mind. My time spent running with my dog Odom makes me a better educator, but the balance is hard. I have to do it more. You inspired me to try to take it another step and maybe get into a race this year!

    Thanks for the reflection and sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Races are my motivation! Who doesn't want a "feels free" T-shirt?!

      Thanks for checking in on my blog. Nice to know people are actually reading it!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I decided to stay, too! I wish I would have started blogging my first year... would have been REALLY interesting to reflect on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie,

    I am so proud of you for setting a running goal this year! I have found that running is my outlet and what I crave when I need to think. This next year is going to be awesome and we can help each other keep balance between work and home.

    Roxann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie, do you listen to music when you run? I have found that listening to audio books helps or helped me run. Some people think that it might be hard to concentrate on the book, but it really helps you forget how hard the run might feel, and you find yourself wanting to run more so you can listen to more of the story. I listen to music during a race though, because then it is hard to concentrate on the book.

    You have inspired me to set some goals for this school year! Thanks for that.

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this post, Cassie. When I interviewed as an AP at CCE and Dr. Penny asked me what was a goal I intended to work on, I told her: BALANCE. It is still a struggle for me, but I think if we hold one another accountable, we can do it. Our work will always be there, but time for making memories, learning new things, and LIVING have to be a priority. With us all opening up this new school…let's challenge ourselves to find BALANCE. It makes us better for our children. BTW- check out Priscilla's blog post- she talks about prioritizing. To me, I made a connection between your post and hers!

    ReplyDelete