Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Go Fo(u)rth and Learn- iDesign Coppell

Here's the deal. When @RafranzDavis says she can't wait to learn more from you, and to share/blog your journey? You go straight home, set up a Blogger account, and START BLOGGING. I don't feel the need to introduce myself (Cassie- @SoVeryCassie), because if you're reading this; you either follow me on Twitter or you're my mom. 

Hi, Mom! I love you!

The past 2 days (and tomorrow!) I have attended iDesign Coppell; a 3-day technology BRAIN DUMP-and I say that in the absolute, best way possible. There is/was every session you could imagine about the latest and greatest ways to use technology to CREATE and PRODUCE; taught by educators. Not people trying to sell you something; REAL people that are in the trenches just like you. So I figure my first blog can simply be to brain dump everything that I'VE learned on YOU. You're welcome. 

Brain Dump #1- Augmented Reality
Ok. I've used this in my classroom. I could see it's potential.. but it didn't work perfectly for me the first time and then I pushed it to the wayside because LIFE. Now that I've had it brought back to the front of my mind? I can't wait to use it. 

Augmented Reality adds a digital element to the physical world. If you need more information on it, please GO HERE for a WEALTH of information! 

Ways I imagine using it in my classroom:
*Book talks
*Explain anything and everything!
*Role Play
*Recite a written poem/writing piece
*GIFTS 
*Front-loading vocabulary
*Reviews
*Introducing our class to the many visitors I foresee us having this year! 

Brain Dump #2- Digital Storytelling in MATH
You might be thinking to yourself, 'Cassie, honey. Digital storytelling isn't anything new!' You would be right... but I've never thought to use it for MATH. Mainly because this coming year will be my first time to teach math, but that's an entirely different blog post. 

Www.tackk.com/mathstories will take you to the presentation by the fabulous person who made me feel obligated to start this blog! :)

Here is the example my fabulous mentor and I created. No, I'm afraid that it isn't my voice that you hear! :)
http://www.thinglink.com/scene/536228164628643841

Seriously though-app smashing, digital storytelling, and MATH all in one! It's my techie dream-come-true!

Brain Dump #3- Kevin Honeycutt (@Kevinhoneycutt)
Follow him on Twitter. He is awesome. That is all. 

Brain Dump #4- VIDEO ASSESSMENTS

Video Assessment- This is the resource that was used to teach about a variety of ways to use videos to assess your learners! They use a format called Blendspace that has so many ways you could use it! Once I've explored it more, I will write a blog about it. :)

Our learners, and I can assume yours as well, are crazy visual. They are bombarded with social media, movies, tv, video games, etc. every day. It makes sense that they would be engaged by these things in the classroom. So, why not? 

Ways I imagine using this in the classroom:
*flipped lessons
*assessments 
*front-loading

There it is. My brain. I hope you follow along on my journey, and I hope that you will teach me something along the way. 



8 comments:

  1. Hooray!! Congrats on your brand new blog! I'll look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you listened to Rafranz...She is amazing :)

    Blogging was the best professional development I have ever done. The opportunity to openly reflect has made me think a lot deeper about what I do personally and professionally. If you stick with it, I am guessing you will see that same impact. Write for yourself and your own learning and you will get a tremendous amount out of the experience!

    Congratulations to you for jumping in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um……how cool is it that tomorrow's keynote posted on YOUR blog? You are a BIG DEAL Miss Cassie, and George, looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! It's nerve-wracking to put yourself out full-blast into the universe!

      Can't wait to hear you speak tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  3. I am SO PROUD of you for starting your blogging journey. I, too, have been meaning to chronicle this little thing called "Lee Elementary" since my hire. It has been on the back burner. So far Todd, Nicole, and YOU have been lighting the fire in me to take time for ME, reflect, and share! THANK YOU for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can keep up with it. Once I started writing, I realized that I have SO much to say. My mom, of course, would say that I have ALWAYS had a lot to say.

      I want it to chronicle my year, but I also hope it is helpful for others!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the blogging community! It's such a great way to connect with educators on a similar journey as us.

    These are such great recaps of your sessions today. I can't wait to see how you use Augmented Reality in your classroom... I definitely need to learn more about it!!

    Nicole
    Going Places in Fourth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wise person once challenged me to teach him something by sharing my learning online. That person is tomorrow's keynote speaker. Echoing what George said, when I blog, I do it for me. I openly reflect on things that move me, successes and failures.

    I have grown so much because blogging has really challenged me to focus on purpose as opposed to just doing what someone else says works. That is the power of reflection and ultimately what blogging is really about.

    I am so excited for you. Coppell is an amazing place and today I felt pure joy being around all of you!

    ReplyDelete